Wednesday, January 9, 2008

PayPal Just Screwed Me

I'm still on the phone with PayPal, so things might end up working out, but in the meantime I wanted to share the crazy experience I just had. I had bought something on eBay and went ahead to pay for it using PayPal. While I was at the "Complete Your Payment" page, my outlook pops up with a new e-mail from PayPal saying that the payment has completed and the funds were taken from my bank account. I couldn't believe my eyes. I immediately opened a new tab and confirmed that indeed the payment had processed. But how could that be? I'm still staring at the "Complete Your Payment" page and I'm in middle of changing the funding source from my bank account to my credit card, since I don't have enough money in that account to fund the purchase!

I immediately call PayPal Customer Service at 888-221-1161 and tell a rep what just happened. She tells me I'm crazy and unless I clicked "Pay", there's no way that payment could've been made. I proceeded to explain to her that I'm not an idiot user and I couldn't have possibly clicked "Pay" since I'm still looking at the "Complete Your Payment" page. I end up getting escalated to someone with a higher pay-grade who offers to credit me the $8.98 of the transaction. I politely declined and told her what I really need is someone to pay the bounce fee of $30 that my bank is about to levee against me. We finally settle on a $15 credit to my PayPal account.

Oh well, now I'll have to fight it out with my bank.

Digg this story

No comments: